Monday, September 1, 2014

3 Cheers for Labor Day!

Info re. the origin of Labor Day


And 3 Cheers for Unions! 

Sure, I was just as pissed as all of my co-workers when I used to walk the SF Lingerie floor only to find most of my new inventory sitting in a stockroom (or still on the dock) waiting for a union member to put in on the floor. But let's be real (and human). No one reading this blog would have the following benefits if it weren't for unions or the labor movement:

  • Employer sponsored healthcare (or any formalized healthcare system). Tough luck if you get sick. 
  • 40 hr work weeks. No one actually works 40 hrs. I'm talking about "blue collar" laborers who worked 7 days a week without any breaks. Going to the bathroom could get you into trouble (no joke!)
  • Vacation, bereavement, and sick days. You could get fired for attending your mother's funeral. 
  • 5 day work weeks, meaning you actually got some days off every week. 
  • Retirement/Pension Funds. Not gonna get into today's retirement predicament - that's for another day. 
  • Maternity/Paternity Leave. Yup, push out that baby and get back to work. 
    not my art work...got this from deviantart.com
So 3 Cheers for Labor Day. Hope you have the day off!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on my post!